Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Bear Lake" 6.7.09


We headed up to Bear Lake today. (on the left) It was too cold and we did not wear enough layers. So after a quick walk around the lake we headed back to the campground.

Back at camp, I decided to go back too the trail by myself. Beyond Bear Lake the trail would take you to Nymph Lake and then Emerald Lake. It would take about 2 hours round trip and would be a chance for me to spend alone. I dressed in a few more layers and took off for the
trailhead.

I was having a wonderful time heading up the trail and keeping an eye on the weather. I had my rain poncho but wasn't really interested in walking in the rain. As I approached Nymph Lake (right) the snow began to fall. Not much, so I pressed on looking forward to reaching the beautiful Emerald Lake. That would not be happening today.

Another mile into the trail and the mountain disappeared in front of me. The snow was falling so hard that everything whited out and the winds were blowing about 40 miles an hour. I decided to wait behind some pine trees and see if it passed. The return trail was still very visible but the trail ahead was heading higher in elevation and into the snow storm. After about 15 minutes and no change in the weather, I decided to head back. With the snow at my back and the cover of the trees the trail back was uneventful but beautiful none the less. I made this video in case I was never found again. Just kidding. - Alan note: You can click on the pictures for a larger view.

3 comments:

  1. Alan! Great video! How awesome to be up there with a little snow. Wish I could fly out to hike a couple trails with ya. Take care and post more video! - Derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know why I refer to that area as God's country. Glad all is well, I'm definitely envious. Tell Elizabeth we will be thinking about her on our vacation to Cape Hatteras(It is not snowing there!). I am enjoying living vicariously through the blog. Soak it all in and God bless all. Bryan C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Bigfoot?? Oh wait that's Alan, my bad.

    I'll give ya 3 guess to figure out who wrote this and the first 2 don't count.

    ReplyDelete