Thursday, June 11, 2009

"The Canyonlands" - 6.11.09

Today the family headed to one of my favorite national parks. The Canyon- lands. The Canyon- lands are split into districts. The "Island in the Sky" and the "Needles." We packed a cooler, topped off the gas tank and headed south.

On the way we stopped in at Dead Horse Point. The Point is a small peninsula connected to the main mesa by a narrow neck of land. The story goes that cowboys used to drive wild horses onto the point and pen them there with a brush fence. Some were accidentally forgotten and left to perish, well in view of the Colorado River 2000 feet below.

Next stop: the Mesa Arch. The Mesa Arch sets atop a sheer cliff that drops nearly 1,000 feet to the canyon bottom. As you approach the arch it begins to take your breath away. It perfectly frames the scenic landscape below. Almost like looking through a crystal clear window. What a cool place.

The main thing on my list to do was to drive the Shafer Trail. This drive will forever have a place in my heart. Five years ago my father and I drove this trail and found it to be one of the most memorable trips we had ever taken. It was a special time as the shadows of the setting sun gave an added dimension to the canyonlands. We had a great time. We also forgot our camera. So for five years it has lived in my heart with hopes of returning. Today I did.

Through a series of very tight switchbacks we made our way down the side of the cliff. And I mean the side of the cliff. Elizabeth wouldn't even look. Ethan and I thought it was cool. We continued for the next few hours over rough roads and four wheel drive terrain. All this time taking in the sights of the enormous walls of the canyon. It was glorious. My family grew tired of the uneven road after a couple of hours and we were all thankful for a paved road.

Tomorrow we drive all day and spend the evening at a Flying J in Wells, Nevada. Please pray for safe travels for me and my family. -Alan

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan. Glad you, Elizabeth and the kids are doing well. The pictures are gorgeous and I am envious!! I pray God continues to bless you guys as you travel. We miss you. Love, Lesley, Jay and Mitchell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan, Elizabeth, Ethan and Noah....I'm so glad that you guys are having such a wonderful time. I'm more than a little envious!!! Just wanted you to know that we miss you all and we're praying for safe travels and a safe return home. We love you all. Lesley, Jay and Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your pictures are awesome! So glad you all are safe and having a wonderful time ---especially getting down the mountain in the blizzard!

    I really enjoyed the "Survivorman" Video!
    (Don't tell me you never watched "Survivorman" on the Discovery channel!)

    Can't wait for your next blog including pictures of Kevin and Felicity!

    You all are in our prayers! Stay safe!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete