Thursday, June 11, 2009

"The Devil's Garden" - 6.10.09

Got up early today and headed back into the Arches. I was interested in getting a few photos of the Delicate Arch as sunrise. I got to the lookout point, hiked about a mile and enjoyed having the area to myself. There was one in sight. It was very quiet and very peaceful. I took my photos and decided it would be a great time to spend talking to God.

You see, I worry alot about things. I've not always been this way, but it seems to be overwelming at times. God and I have been working on this. It's no fun always being stressed and I am tired of it wearing me down. Like I said, we are working on it. Pray for me.

We are staying at the Riverside Oasis RV Park. It's really is an oasis. In all of the desert surroundings you find this park with plush green grass and wonderful shade trees. (And mosquitos)

Our plans for the day were to hike the Devil's Garden Trail. This six mile hike took us past several arches. The Double O Arch and the Landscape Arch to name a few.

This was a difficult hike. You start out on nice trail that leads you through some incredible rock formations. In fact, the entire hike is through this "rock maze." The trail is marked with rock cairns and its usually a good idea to find the next one before moving on. We decided to take the primitive loop part of the trail which was sand for quite some time. Loose sand is a pain to walk in after a mile or so. Praise God the landscape was very diverting.

The boys did great for such a tough trail but decided they wanted a break after doing the Delicate Arch trail the evening before. Fortunately the weather was unseasonably cool. We experienced a little rain while we were on the trail but took shelter against one of the stone cliffs. We also encountered some heights as we traversed over a long rock "fin." They view was amazing.

We were all tired when we got back to the campground. Elizabeth made a great spaghetti dinner for us, we cleaned up and then went out for ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment