Sunday, June 7, 2009

"The Mile High City" 6.5.09

After a good night's sleep at the Flying J we headed into Denver. Our plans were to see the Denver U.S. Mint and the Science and Nature museum. Finding a place to park a 50 ft rig in downtown was tough but we managed. We then made our reservations for the Denver Mint. They were for 2:30 in the afternoon so we had some time to kill.

The nice lady at the Mint Gift Shop recommended a little downtown cafe' called "Dozens." The food was fantastic. Elizabeth and I will always remember partaking of Ethan's strawberry Belgium waffle smothered in fresh strawberries and a load of whipped cream. I was a beautiful day so we spent the rest of our time just looking around the main square downtown and visiting the library. The city was setting up for a weekend festival with concerts, food and all types of booths.

The tour of the mint was very interesting. What I found most interesting is that the U.S. Mint is a private run company. They are not owned by the federal government. They make money by selling coinage to the U.S. government. They are not run by our tax dollars. I did not know that. We have no pictures of the day in Denver because the Mint would not allow us to take in cameras or cell phone cameras. I guess so we wouldn't be "casing the joint."

After the tour we decided we didn't have time for the science and nature museum so we hit the road and headed for Estes Park where we would camp out at the Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park for the next three nights. I however, was not interested in taking the easy way. I wanted the scenic way. So I headed west out of Denver on I-70 towards Central City where I would begin my scenic trek. The drive for the next 3 hours would be spectacular and incredibly nerve racking.

The mountain road was so steep I was using the lower gears to go up and down. It seemed that around every turn there were new sites to take in. Unfortunately, there were very few places to stop and take pictures but we found a few. It was a wild ride but well worth it. We finally made it to our campsite and was ready to rest after a busy day. By the way, the view out the front of the RV is incredible. God is amazing.

1 comment: