Saturday, June 27, 2009

"Chasing Rainbows" 6.27.09

The way I had planned this entire trip was to leave the last two weeks free from a schedule. We would make our way back to Kentucky at our own pace. Therefore, after a little thought and encouragement from my wonderful wife, I decided to head back to Yosemite and reach the top of Half Dome. It would take two days but it would be worth it.

We left the Redwoods and said goodbye to the Pacific Coast. It was a painful goodbye. Within a few hours we were 100 miles inland and about 40 degrees warmer. We ran the generator most of the afternoon to keep the ceiling AC units running so the RV wouldn't turn into an oven. We made it down to Lodi, CA by the end of the day and stayed at a Flying J.

The next morning we had some RV items to attend to. After a good wash and an oil change the RV was feeling better. (Usually works for me.) We picked up some fresh produce and headed to Yosemite. The picture above is hwy 120 heading toward the park. It never stops going up. We got to our campsite and I prepared my pack for the hike the next morning.

At 3:45 am my alarm goes off. By 4:00 am I am out the door. It would take me an hour to reach the trailhead. During that time I munched on dry cereal and drank some milk. That would be breakfast. I was on trail with a full pack by 5:15 am. My goal was to make it to the top, 8.3 miles, by 10:00 am. It was 55 degrees when my hike began but I knew it would reach the mid-eighties before it ended. I packed ten bottles of water. Five in the reservoir in my pack and five to fill it again.

The hike was harder this time. I think I set my pace a little to fast. Within a mile I was getting concerned about the level of pain I was willing to put up with. Also, I was hiking alone so all I had to keep me company was me. For those of you who know me you can imagine how fun that was. After a couple of miles though I began to get a rhythm. The burning that started in my legs had subsided. It was still tough, I was just feeling better about it.

After several quick breaks I finally made it to the base of the dome. I had a little twinge in my left knee but other than that I was doing well. Now came the cables. 4oo feet of cables. I pulled out my gloves from my pack and headed up. As you can see there were only about a dozen people on the cables so I was hoping for a quick ascent.

Getting up the cables is as much about your grip as it is the traction of your shoes. At time the slope reaches 45 degrees. About every 20 feet there is a 2x4 attached to the rock. They are there as places to stop and take a breather. It took about 20 minutes to get up the cables. I stopped many times to catch my breath and enjoy the veiw and the experience. "I am standing on a sheer rock face. Very cool."

By 9:30 am I was looking down over Yosemite Valley from 2000 feet above. I had finally done it. I called my father and shared the adventure with him. (good signal on Half Dome.) I spent the next hour just looking everywhere. I would lay down by the edge and stick my head over the side of the sheer cliff. I really was remarkable. I ate my lunch and then pulled out my Bible and read some Psalms. (23,24,98, & 100)

"Let the sea resound, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. Le the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy; let them sing before the Lord," - Psalm 98:7-9.

Coming down the cables was a bit easier on the arms but a little harder to control. By now the cable were full of people. No real problems, just took time. At the base of the dome I gave my gloves to a young man who didn't have any and wished him luck. I filled the reservoir with my last five bottles of water and headed down. I met a gentleman who was a professor in New Jersey. His name was Dave. We talked for the next few hours as we made our way to the top of Nevada Falls. The day was beautiful and I decided to stay and enjoy the falls for awhile. As I stood at the top a rainbow formed over falls. My day was getting even better.

I eventually made my way down to Vernal Falls along the Mist Trail. By now my left knee is in a considerable amount of pain but I really don't care. As I come around to Vernal Falls another rainbow begins to form. I know it probably does this all the time but I like to believe that God was doing it just for me. I sat there for a while and enjoyed the moment. (and let the pain in my knee ease a bit.)

Now it was just a matter getting down the last mile. By now the trail is paved a few hundred people are on it. I come around a corner to find a brown bear heading up the slope at me. Now there were about 40 people in the direct vicinity so it was not a scary moment, but to see a bear so close was something I will always remember. He looked at all of us, literally jumped the trail and disapearred up the side of the mountain. WOW!

I made it back the car and headed to the shops in the valley. I wanted a shirt that said, "I Made It to the Top." I picked one up and headed back to camp. My legs will be sore for a few days and my calves will hurt for a week but it was all worth it. What a day I had "chasing rainbows."

I'm just living vicariously through myself. - Alan

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Great story, anc congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deal. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed for you after the first trip up. I know how much you had looked forward to it. Be safe on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Alan! I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment you must feel (besides the aches and pains). By the way, that looks like a cinnamon or blonde phase black bear, but you were there, I'm going off of the picture, and I'm glad you didn't get et. Enjoy the last two weeks. Bryan C.

    ReplyDelete